For organizations on our original pricing model, our various products report a wide range of event data. Different products have different data retention periods, and different ways to extend event data retention. You can customize the length of your event data retention through flexible event retention.
The best way to understand your data retention and see what options are available is to go to the UI. One reason this is recommended is because your organization may have edited your settings and they may no longer be the default settings documented here.
The Data retention UI page is located in the Data management hub.
For our original pricing model, all New Relic product subscriptions come with a certain level of data retention that governs how long different types of data are retained.
Here are some examples of how different product subscriptions can affect event data retention:
- Free/Lite APM subscription: default-reported events available for 1 day. No custom events available.
- Pro APM subscription: default-reported events available for 8 days. Custom events available for 1 day (and able to be extended with Insights Pro).
APM, Browser, and Mobile
Event data retention can be extended with a paid subscription to these products (see product data retention). To extend retention of both default-reported events and custom events further, you need an Insights Pro subscription.
Event data retention can be extended with a paid Infrastructure subscription. See Infrastructure data retention rules.
Event data retention can be extended with a paid Synthetics subscription. See Synthetics data retention rules.
For organizations on our original pricing model, a paid Insights subscription is what governs the extension of event data retention for:
- Our APM, Browser, Mobile, and Serverless products
- Custom events that come from an agent API or from the Event API
To see the data retention governed by your Insights subscription: go to the usage UI and select Insights usage.
With an Insights Pro subscription, you can use flexible retention to customize how long your event data is retained. This lets you keep only the data you need, for as long as you need it.
For organizations on our original pricing model, a subscription to Insights Pro gets you access to flexible retention, which lets you define how some types of event data are retained. This lets you keep only the event data you need, for as long as you need it. You can manage your flexible retention through the UI or through our GraphQL API.
Requirements to use this feature:
- An Insights Pro subscription or equivalent trial.
- Applies only for events governed by an Insights Pro subscription.
- To use this feature, you must be an account Owner or data retention add-on manager for your account.
For information on managing retention settings using APIs, see Manage data retention.