The New Relic AWS Lambda Telemetry extension allows users to send telemetry data straight from their lambda functions into New Relic, with no need to set up triggers or connect Amazon CloudWatch. Send your logs, events, metrics and traces by adding the extension as the layer, and setting up your New Relic license key as an environment variable.
- In the AWS Console go to Lambda > Functions and choose the function you'd like to ingest data from.
- Select Layers > Add Layer.
- In Choose a layer select the Specify a layer by providing the ARN option.
- Navigate to https://layers.newrelic-external.com/, search for AwsLambdaExtension in your region to find the arn with the most recent layer version, and then paste that in the Arn field back in your AWS console.
- Go to Configuration, select Environment variables and add Key: LICENSE_KEY Value: LICENSE_KEY.
To verify that set up has been done correctly, click the Test button in code section.
You can find your data on New Relic by navigating to https://one.newrelic.com/ > Browse data > then selecting one of 4 categories: Logs, Events, Metrics or Traces.
Logs can be filtered by specific attributes set. Click Attributes in left menu and then choose the attributes of interest. For example:
SOURCE > api.logsPLUGIN > TYPE > lambda extensionAWS > EXTENSION > AwsLambdaExtension
Metrics sent by the extension are prefixed with
aws.telemetry.lambda_ext.. Currently there are 6 AWS lambda metrics:
To see event sent by this extension, in Custom events section look for
AwsLambdaExtension. Currently there are twelve event types:
You can filter the data further under the
Trace data are displayed in Traces tab. To see traces sent by the extension, search for `AwsLambdaExtension'.