The New Relic Mobile crash event trail shows you the events leading up to a crash of a mobile app, based on your subscription level's data retention policy. These can be events New Relic monitors by default, or custom events you created in New Relic Insights. This document explains what the crash event trail is and how to use it.
Access to this feature depends on your subscription level.
When a mobile app crashes and you don't know why, you can study what happened right before the crash. New Relic Mobile's crash event trail shows you these events so that you can follow the "breadcrumbs" leading up to the crash and diagnose the cause of the failure.
one.newrelic.com > Mobile > (select a mobile app) > Crash analysis > (selected crash type) > Event trail: The crash event trail shows the activity leading up to a mobile app crash.
The crash event trail shows all New Relic Mobile event types leading up to a crash. You can use New Relic Mobile's iOS SDK or Android SDK to create custom
MobileBreadcrumb events that track whatever app activity you think would help you diagnose a crash.
You can also use
MobileHandledException events in the crash event trail to aid in debugging. Use the iOS and Android
recordHandledException APIs for iOS or Android to annotate where exceptions are handled in your application. These events will automatically appear in the crash event trail.
For more about annotating crash event trails with custom data, see Add custom data to New Relic Mobile.
To use the New Relic Mobile crash event trail:
- Go to one.newrelic.com > Mobile > (select a mobile app) > Crash analysis.
- On the lower right side of the Crash analysis page, select a crash type.
- On the Crash details page, beside the stack trace, select Event trail.
- Study the events leading up to a crash type for clues to the reasons for the crash.
- To expand details about an event's attributes, select it.
- To view the event trail results in New Relic Insights, select Open session in Insights.
- To scroll through occurrences of the same crash type, use the event trail's left and right arrows.
For optimal use of New Relic's crash analysis tools, use:
- New Relic Mobile's Android SDK API or iOS SDK API to create custom
- New Relic Mobile's Crash analysis page
- New Relic Mobile's Interaction trail
- New Relic Insights queries of your crash event data
- New Relic Insights dashboards
The crash event trail is different from the interaction trail. The crash event trail shows all New Relic Mobile event types leading up to a crash, whereas the interaction trail only shows interaction event types (
Mobile events with the category
interaction). The interaction trail has additional features, including stack traces and links to the associated interaction charts.
If you need more help, check out these support and learning resources:
- Browse the Explorers Hub to get help from the community and join in discussions.
- Find answers on our sites and learn how to use our support portal.
- Run New Relic Diagnostics, our troubleshooting tool for Linux, Windows, and macOS.
- Review New Relic's data security and licenses documentation.