To forward logs to New Relic using Fluentd, ensure your configuration meets the following requirements:
To enable log management with Fluentd:
- Install the Fluentd plugin.
- Configure the Fluentd plugin.
- Test the Fluentd plugin.
- Optional: Configure additional plugin attributes.
- Generate some traffic and wait a few minutes, then check your account for data.
To install the Fluentd plugin:
NOTE: If you're configuring Fluentd for the first time, you may find it helpful to review our collection of pre-built configuration files addressing common use cases.
To configure your Fluentd plugin:
Restart the Fluentd service to ensure your changes are applied.
To test if your Fluentd plugin is receiving input from a log file:
Run the following command to append a test log message to your log file:
echo "test message" >> /PATH/TO/YOUR/LOG/FILE
Search New Relic Logs UI for
The New Relic ingestion endpoint.
For more information and examples, see Example Configurations for Fluentd.
If everything is configured correctly and your data is being collected, you should see data logs in both of these places:
New Relic tools for running NRQL queries. For example, you can execute a query like this:SELECT * FROM Log
Now that you've enabled Logs, here are some potential next steps:
- Explore your data using the Logs UI.
- Configure your agent to see contextual log data, such as distributed tracing, stack traces, application logs, and more.
- Query your data and create custom dashboards or alerts.
If no data appears after you enable New Relic Logs, follow the troubleshooting procedures.