A security update for the .NET agent corrects an issue where certain character combinations may prevent query obfuscation when instrumenting Microsoft SQL Server.
Release date: April 22, 2019
Vulnerability identifier: NR19-03
The following New Relic agent versions are affected:
When configured to obfuscate SQL queries, the .NET agent will pass all queries through an obfuscation function. Due to the way Microsoft SQL Server sanitizes queries, certain character combinations may be generated that could cause this obfuscation to fail.
This vulnerability only exists when instrumenting Microsoft SQL Server and query obfuscation is enabled.
- Disable database instrumentation.
- Update to the latest New Relic .NET agent.
New Relic is committed to the security of our customers and their data. If you believe you have found a security vulnerability in one of our products or websites, we welcome and greatly appreciate you reporting it to New Relic's coordinated disclosure program. For more information, see Reporting security vulnerabilities.
If you need more help, check out these support and learning resources:
- Browse the Explorers Hub to get help from the community and join in discussions.
- Find answers on our sites and learn how to use our support portal.
- Run New Relic Diagnostics, our troubleshooting tool for Linux, Windows, and macOS.
- Review New Relic's data security and licenses documentation.