A security update to the Java agent reconfigured the YAML parser to include a SafeConstructor, which removes the ability to have limited user controlled code executed.
Release date: April 26th, 2021
Vulnerability identifier: NR21-02
The following New Relic agent versions are affected:
A specified notation, when parsed through an unsafe
Yaml.load() call, will create a new Java object and invoke its constructor, potentially leading to code execution. An attacker would have to have access to the agent’s host to edit the
newrelic.yml file to include a crafted payload that would execute arbitrary code once the agent starts up.
This vulnerability requires an attacker already having access to the host in order to modify the
newrelic.yml config file on a victim’s machine, which in itself is a mitigating factor. However, there are additional steps that you can take to either completely patch this issue or harden your systems against it:
- Update your Java agent to patch this vulnerability
- Revoke write privileges to your
New Relic is committed to the security of our customers and your data. If you believe you have found a security vulnerability in one of our products or websites, we welcome and greatly appreciate you reporting it to New Relic's coordinated disclosure program. For more information, see our documentation about reporting security vulnerabilities.
If you need more help, check out these support and learning resources:
- Browse the Explorers Hub to get help from the community and join in discussions.
- Find answers on our sites and learn how to use our support portal.
- Run New Relic Diagnostics, our troubleshooting tool for Linux, Windows, and macOS.
- Review New Relic's data security and licenses documentation.