New Relic Insights is a software analytics resource to gather and visualize data about your software and what that data says about your business.
- Use NRQL to quickly and easily create real-time dashboards to get immediate answers about end-user experiences, clickstreams, mobile activities, and server transactions.
- Search through and create customizable charts for your metric data.
- Package your dashboards as data apps, to allow non-technical users to easily explore your Insights data.
You can also track your Insights data with the New Relic Insights mobile app for iPhone, Android, and Apple TV.
New Relic Insights builds on New Relic APM (Application Performance Monitoring) and extends it to include user behavior, business transactions, customer insights, and more. While New Relic APM helps people optimize their apps, Insights helps people optimize their bottom line. It is a software analytics resource to help everyone from C-level executives to front-end developers make better decisions and build better products.
Using the Insights interface, you can quickly and easily build dashboards to identify problems with your servers and applications in real time or to track ongoing data trends.
New Relic Insights contains four main components:
- A high-powered, index-free events database that stores your data in the cloud.
- A query language similar to SQL for reading and organizing data from the events database.
- A REST-ful API to insert custom attributes and events into the events database and to get data for local applications.
- A dashboard management interface with a collection of widgets to help you represent data quickly and clearly.
For a library of videos about basic concepts and advanced procedures to use New Relic Insights, visit learn.newrelic.com.
Event types and attributes
Insights collects events from a variety of New Relic products:
- APM: Transaction and TransactionError events
- Browser: PageView and PageAction events
- Mobile: Mobile events
- Synthetics: SyntheticCheck, SyntheticRequest, and SyntheticPrivateMinion events
An event has a type, a timestamp, and an arbitrary number of key-value attributes. You decorate your events with custom attributes to better understand your customers, your app, and your business. You can also add any timestamped key-value data you want as arbitrary custom events for page views, server transactions, or anything that can report online.
Use the Metric Explorer to search and chart any metric timeslice data sent via New Relic agents, including custom metrics. Add metric widgets to an Insights dashboard to monitor the data that's most interesting to you or another team in a centralized place, alongside any event/NRQL-based widgets.
Send custom data to Insights
Adding a high number of custom attributes and events may cause degraded query performance and run up against insertion rate limits for events. For optimal performance, first think about what data you want to analyze, and then create only the custom attributes required for the events.
|Source||How to send custom data|
|APM agent||Use agent API to send custom events and custom attributes|
|Insights REST API||Insert custom events and custom attributes with the Insights REST API.|
|Mobile agent||Use mobile agent API to send custom events and custom attributes|
Compatibility and requirements
Ensure your New Relic APM agent meets the minimum compatible version for Insights:
- Go: 1.0.0 or higher
- Java: 3.4.0 or higher
- .NET: 126.96.36.199 or higher
- Node.js: 1.6.0 or higher
- PHP: 188.8.131.52 or higher
- Python: 184.108.40.206 or higher
- Ruby: 220.127.116.11 or higher
Always use the most recent version of the agent. Older versions may lack some of the functionality available in the most recent version.
If you need to update your agent:
- Sign in to your New Relic account.
- From the New Relic menu bar, select (account) > Account settings.
- From the Account information section, select your agent's download link.