To take full advantage of New Relic's latest features, enhancements, and important security patches, we recommend you update your Ruby agent to the latest version. For additional information about specific agent updates, refer to the Ruby agent release notes.
To determine which Ruby agent versions your apps currently use:
- In New Relic, from the account dropdown, select Account settings > Connected agents.
- Optional: Sort by Oldest agent version.
To update the Ruby agent:
Using Bundler: Run this command:bundle update newrelic_rpm
Not using Bundler: Run this command:gem update newrelic_rpm
For correct instrumentation:
- With JRuby versions 1.7 or higher, use New Relic Ruby agent version 184.108.40.206 to 3.18.1.
- With JRuby versions 9 or higher, use New Relic Ruby agent version 220.127.116.11 or higher.
Otherwise, if your application has no transactions and you are using JRuby, you will not be able to see your CPU metrics. This was due to a bug in JRuby, where
Process.times returned wall-clock time instead of elapsed CPU time. That bug was fixed as of New Relic’s Ruby agent 18.104.22.168 and JRuby 1.7.0.
End of life notification: As of January 26, 2015, New Relic will no longer accept data from Ruby agent versions earlier than 3.9.6.
These agent versions use an out-of-date protocol when communicating with New Relic's data collection services. In addition, many of these versions contain a potential security issue where they may incorrectly send sensitive data to the New Relic collector.
If you are updating from an older agent version, including major version jumps, review the following list for changes in functionality.
From version 6 to 7
Release notes: Ruby agent 7.0.0
Please see our Ruby Agent 6.x to 7.x migration guide for helpful strategies and tips for migrating from earlier versions of the Ruby agent to 7.0.0. We cover new configuration settings, diagnosiing and installing SSL CA certificates and deprecated items and their replacements in this guide.
From version 5 to 6
Release notes: Ruby agent 22.214.171.1241
With the addition of the Tracer API for flexible custom instrumentation, several APIs were deprecated. If used, they need to be updated. For more information, see Ruby custom instrumentation.
From version 4 to 5
Release notes: Ruby agent 126.96.36.1992
SSL connections to New Relic are now mandatory.
From version 3 to 4
Release notes: Ruby agent 188.8.131.522
The agent no longer supports Ruby versions prior to 2.0, JRuby 1.7 and earlier, and all versions of Rubinius.
Deprecated API calls
For a list of deprecated API calls and their replacements, see Update deprecated API calls.
If you need more help, check out these support and learning resources:
- Browse the Explorers Hub to get help from the community and join in discussions.
- Find answers on our sites and learn how to use our support portal.
- Run New Relic Diagnostics, our troubleshooting tool for Linux, Windows, and macOS.
- Review New Relic's data security and licenses documentation.