There are several steps to enabling Lambda monitoring:
- Link your AWS Account
- Link your AWS Account with your New Relic account. This allows New Relic to gather metadata about your Lambda functions (and, optionally, other AWS Resources), to link with your telemetry. This happens once.
- Add your New Relic License Key to AWS Secrets Manager, so that your functions can send telemetry to New Relic. Secrets Manager secrets are scoped to the local region, so this must be done once in every AWS account region you monitor.
- (Optional) Configure CloudWatch Log collection (The
newrelic-lambdaCLI will automatically install the CloudWatch logs collector by default)
- Instrument a function
- Instrument other functions
- (Optional) Add distributed tracing instrumentation