When deploying a new version of New Relic's .NET agent (NewRelic.Profiler.dll) for your Microsoft Azure Web App, an error message prevents you from continuing until you stop or restart the process. The expected behavior is that the process stops, then the assets are overwritten by the assets New Relic packs in the site root (located at D:\Home\site\wwwroot\newrelic) during a deployment.
Try either of these solutions to resolve the problem.
- Stop the file from releasing
This solution is available for your Azure Web App if you are attempting to deploy a new .NET agent version over an existing version:
- Stop your web app to release the .dll file.
- Allow the update to proceed.
- Once the deploy is complete, restart the instance.
- Use the New Relic Site Extension
You can install New Relic's .NET agent into your Azure Web App by using the New Relic Site Extension. (You should only need to install the Extension once.)
- Navigate to http://yoursite.scm.azurewebsites.net/ and select Site Extensions.
- From the Gallery, select the add [plus] icon, and then select New Relic.
- Follow the instructions to manually add the configuration keys to your web app, and use the option that best fits your needs.
To update the Extension: From the Azure Portal, select WebApps > (selected site) > All Settings > Extensions > New Relic.
For more help
Additional documentation resources include Azure Troubleshooting (tips and procedures specific to New Relic's .NET agent and Microsoft Azure products).