How to update the APM .NET agent.
- Refer to the release notes to find the latest version of the agent.
- Check the version of the .NET agent you currently have installed by using Windows Programs and Features or by using your Linux package manager.
There are several ways you can install the .NET agent, which means there are several ways to update it. In this doc, we focus on the update procedures for the simplest installations, with the .NET agent installed directly on a Windows or Linux host.
If you have other installations, see these install docs for those setups for more context:
Follow the update instructions for your agent:
- Updating the agent requires Administrator rights in your Windows admin group. For more information, see the permissions documentation.
- If your agent version is lower than 7.0 or you are using .NET Framework version 4.0 or lower, see Update legacy .NET agent.
- If your application is hosted in IIS, be sure to stop IIS before updating the .NET agent.
For .NET agent versions 10.0.0 or higher, the name of the package is
newrelic-dotnet-agent. For .NET agent versions 9.9.0 or lower, the name of the package is
The rest of this document refers to
newrelic-dotnet-agent; replace this with the older name if you've an older agent version installed.
When you update to version 10.0.0 or higher from a lower one, you'll need to change the
CORECLR_PROFILER_PATH environment variables due to the package name change.
Use one of the following methods to update to the latest version of the .NET agent of New Relic:
If you're considering updating a .NET Framework agent version that's lower than 7.0, review the following notes. To see the agent version you have, see Check agent version. For a full list of agent changes, see the .NET release notes.