The Diagnostics CLI (
nrdiag) is a utility that automatically detects common problems with New Relic products. If the Diagnostics CLI detects a problem, it suggests troubleshooting steps. The Diagnostics CLI can also automatically attach troubleshooting data to a New Relic Support ticket.
The Diagnostics CLI is open source and is located in GitHub.
For additional troubleshooting steps for your agent, check out Not seeing data.
The Diagnostics CLI is available for Linux, macOS, and Windows. It can detect common configuration issues for:
- APM: Available for all APM agents except C SDK. For the Go agent, only basic connectivity checks are available.
- Browser monitoring: Browser agent detection
- Infrastructure monitoring: Linux and Windows agents
- Mobile agents: iOS and Android
- Synthetic monitoring: Containerized private minions (CPM)
The Diagnostics CLI does not require
admin permissions to run, although we recommend those permissions for some checks. It will return an error if it does not have permissions to read the files it scans.
To use the Diagnostics CLI:
- Run the Diagnostics CLI, including task suites and command line options as needed.
- Include an attachment key when you upload the results to your Support ticket.
- Optional: Validate your config file settings.
- Interpret the output.
Like any other New Relic tool, the Diagnostics CLI service is designed to protect you and your customers' data privacy. For detailed information, see our Diagnostics CLI licensing and security documentation.