New Relic Synthetics monitors your websites, critical business transactions, and API endpoints to measure optimal performance. New Relic Browser monitors the actual results of webpage performance across all variations of devices, browsers, and connection speeds. Used together, they provide a direct page load time comparison between real user (Browser) interactions and the Synthetics monitors.
Comparative charting feature
New Relic's comparative charting feature helps operations managers and teams by providing:
- Benchmarks for page load times
- Additional insights to help you plan where to optimize your site
- Comparisons of Synthetics trends vs. actual Browser performance without needing to switch between New Relic products
For example, during a page outage, you can compare Synthetics trends to actual Browser comparisons to see if an issue is also visible in Synthetics, or if it is caused by variables outside of Synthetics. This helps you more efficiently know where to take action.
The comparative charting feature requires:
- Browser Pro account with the Browser SPA agent (version 885 or higher).
- Synthetics Lite or Pro account using Synthetics a simple browser or scripted monitor with one or more tests on the same URLs monitored by the Browser agent.
After you enable the comparative charting feature either from New Relic Synthetics or from New Relic Browser, no additional setup is required. The comparative charting feature will appear when Browser finds matching URLs.
Enable comparison data
After you enable the comparative charting feature from either Synthetics or Browser, no additional setup is required. The comparative charting feature will appear whenever Synthetics or Browser finds matching URLs.
- Enable comparative charting from Synthetics
To enable the comparative charting feature from New Relic Synthetics:
- Go to synthetics.newrelic.com > (select a monitor) > Overview.
- Above the selected monitor's Availability chart, select the ellipsis [ellipsis icon] icon.
- Select Enable Synthetics comparison.
- Enable comparative charting from Browser
To enable the comparison data feature from New Relic Browser:
- Go to rpm.newrelic.com/browser > (select a browser app) > Page views.
- Select a page monitored by New Relic Synthetics.
- From the selected page's Performance tab, select the ellipsis [ellipsis icon] icon.
- Select Enable Synthetics comparison.
View comparison data
The comparative charting feature appears whenever Synthetics identifies a URL match with Browser and can compare it. You can compare Browser and Synthetics performance either from the Synthetics Overview page or from the Browser Page views page (for Browser apps or single page apps) without needing to switch between New Relic products.
Based on the selected data sources, the summary shows:
- Overall speed percentage comparison between Browser (real user) page views and any matching URLs found in Synthetics monitors that the user has permissions to view
- Number of URLs found in Synthetics monitors that match the Browser rollup URL
To view the comparative charting summary:
From Synthetics: Go to synthetics.newrelic.com > (select a monitor) > Overview.
From Browser: Go to rpm.newrelic.com/browser > (select a browser app) > Page views, then select a page monitored by New Relic Synthetics.
- Review the comparative charting feature's summary of overall speed percentage and number of matching URLs.
- To view additional details, select the summary's right arrow [right arrow icon] icon.
Hide or return comparison data
To hide the comparative charting feature, select the ellipsis [ellipsis icon] icon.
- To keep it visible but move it away from the top of the page, select Move to bottom.
- To return it to its original place on the page, select Move to top.
- To remove it from the page, select Hide all Synthetics/Browser comparisons.
- To return it to the page after removing it, follow standard procedures to enable comparison charting.
New Relic uses these data sources for the Synthetics and Browser comparison in the UI. Some of these variables are calculated by New Relic Insights.
|Real user page views||Page view details coming from visitors to your website (exclude Synthetics monitors).|
|Synthetics page views||Only traffic generated by a Synthetics simple or scripted monitors.|
|Real user average||The average page load time for real users viewing your website (excludes Synthetics monitors).|
|Synthetics average||The average page load time from the Synthetics simple or scripted monitors that ran on your website.|
The unique ID assigned to your Synthetics monitor:
SELECT monitorId FROM BrowserInteraction
|Monitor account ID||
The Synthetics account from which you are running the monitor:
SELECT monitorAccountId FROM BrowserInteraction
|Monitor job ID||
The ID of a single Synthetics monitor run, which began at a specific time and originated from a specific location:
SELECT monitorJobId FROM BrowserInteraction LIMIT 1