New Relic Insights is one way to query and chart your New Relic data. New Relic Insights is an analytics tool that lets you query and visualize data about your software and infrastructure systems, and better understand that data from a business perspective.
Insights lets you:
- Make NRQL queries to get answers and solve specific problems.
- Use NRQL to generate real-time dashboards to get answers about your New Relic-stored data, such as end-user experiences, clickstreams, mobile activities, and host activity.
- Package your dashboards as data apps, to allow non-technical users to easily explore your data.
User and data analysis
New Relic Insights leverages the data from New Relic's other products to allow you to analyze user behavior, business transactions, customer insights, and more. For example, New Relic APM helps people optimize their apps, while Insights helps people optimize their bottom line. It's a software analytics resource to help everyone from C-level executives to front-end developers make better decisions and build better products.
Using the Insights interface, you can quickly and easily build dashboards to identify problems with your apps and hosts in real-time or to track ongoing data trends.
New Relic Insights contains four main components:
- A high-powered, index-free events database that stores your data in the cloud.
- NRQL: a query language similar to SQL for reading and organizing data from the New Relic database.
- The Event API: a REST-ful API for inserting custom events and attributes into New Relic and to get data for local applications.
- A dashboard management interface with a collection of charts to help you represent data quickly and clearly, and an API to manage those dashboards.
The Insights service reports on data recorded by other New Relic products and services. It doesn’t record data on its own.
What data can you query in Insights?
You can add custom attributes to some events in order to better understand your customers, your app, and your business. You can also create custom events for page views, host transactions, or anything that can be reported online.
Use the event data explorer to search for and understand your event data.
Metric timeslice data
New Relic APM, Browser, and Mobile report and display some metrics in a simple format that we call metric timeslice data. To query this type of data, you have these options:
- Use Insights' metric data explorer to search and chart this data (including custom metrics).
- Query it with NRQL.
Send custom data to Insights
Compatibility and requirements
New Relic Insights collects default data from a number of New Relic products:
All New Relic APM agents released after May 2014 send default event data to Insights. The specific minimum agent versions are:
- C SDK: All versions
- Go: All versions
- Java: 3.4.0 or higher (but not legacy Java SE 5.0 agent)
- .NET: 126.96.36.199 or higher
- Node.js: 1.6.0 or higher
- PHP: 188.8.131.52 or higher
- Python: 184.108.40.206 or higher
- Ruby: 220.127.116.11 or higher
New Relic recommends always using the latest agent version. Older versions will lack the functionality available in the most recent version. For update instructions, see Update the New Relic agent.
- All New Relic Browser agent versions released after March 2015 send default event data to Insights. Some event types are tied to specific features; for details, see Browser default event data..
- All New Relic Infrastructure agent versions send default event data to Insights. Each Infrastructure integration also sends its own event data, which is detailed in the documentation for that integration.
- All New Relic Mobile agents released after May 2015 send default event data to Insights (iOS version 5.0.0 and Android version 5.0.0). However, some event types require higher versions: New Relic recommends using iOS version 5.15.0 or higher and Android version 5.15.1 or higher.
- New Relic Synthetics always sends default event data to Insights.
- Custom data
- You can also send custom data to Insights with custom events, or annotate the event data from other New Relic products with custom attributes.