Queries help you find the information you need, and your charts and graphs based on those queries make the data useful to your organization. Charts and dashboards are the key to data visualization, giving you multiple options that enable you to create visually appealing and easily understandable data streams. You can make the most of your data by understanding the ways that NRQL queries lead in to charts and dashboards.
Creating a chart from the query builder before saving a NRQL query.
To complete writing a NRQL query you must create a chart as the final step. New Relic offers multiple options to help you find the perfect way to visualize your data, and you can do many things with your charts once you've made them. After you write your NRQL query, you can use charts to:
- Use your chart as the start of a new dashboard to monitor multiple NRQL queries from a single location
- Add your chart to an existing dashboard to add another NRQL query to your monitoring
- Share your chart with others by copying the permalink or downloading it as a PDF (or CSV, if applicable) to enable others to see data from your queries
- Edit the NRQL query behind the chart to help fine-tune the data you're seeing
- Create an alert from your NRQL query to help proactively notify you when problems arise
Charts are great on their own, but they really shine when you compile them together to create dashboards.
A dashboard representing data in pie and bar chart formats.
While charts are great for reporting on individual pieces, dashboards are the best way to get a much broader view of your data: if charts are pieces to a puzzle, dashboards are the puzzle completed. Dashboards are highly configurable, and you can use them to show any number of streams you like. You can:
- Add charts to your dashboards using the query builder
- Add your own text, images, or links (using Markdown) to your dashboard
- Move charts around within a dashboard to make sure the most important data is where you want it to be
- Share your dashboard by email or create a permalink to your dashboard
- Import or export your dashboard as a JSON, or export your dashboard as a PDF
- Duplicate the dashboard to use as a foundation for an entirely new one
- Edit your dashboard components to add new data streams, modify existing ones, or remove older ones that are no longer relevant