Here is the basic process for session tracking:
- A session begins when a user visits a website where New Relic's browser monitoring is installed and cookie collection is enabled.
- After the user's browser is opened, our browser monitoring script sets a simple cookie identifying the session.
- The script then reads the cookie on subsequent page loads.
- The same session will continue until the user's browser is closed.
Session tracking will not work properly in these situations:
- If users have cookies disabled in their browser
- If the browser is configured to not allow information associated with the New Relic cookie to be sent with the request from the monitored site
At New Relic, we take data privacy seriously. By default, we do not retain any personal data collected by our browser agent, and you can control session tracking. To turn cookie collection on or off for your app:
- Go to one.newrelic.com > Browser > (select an app) > Settings > Application settings.
- In your app's Privacy settings, toggle Cookie collection.