As of April 12, 2021, we are upgrading Insights to an improved web and mobile experience! All of your Insights URLs will be redirected automatically to the corresponding dashboards in New Relic One. For more details about this migration and how you can easily plan for this transition, see our Explorers Hub post.
In New Relic Insights, the Data explorer UI page lets you explore the data available to you. There are two data explorer tabs available: Events and Metrics. This document explains details about Events. For information on the Metrics tab, see Metrics data explorer.
In New Relic Insights, the Data explorer page has two tabs:
- Events: In the context of the Insights UI, this refers to any data that can be queried via NRQL. This includes all our major data types, including events and the Metric, Log, and Span data types.
- Metrics: In the context of the Insights UI, this refers to metric timeslice data. (Note that metric timeslice data is available for querying with NRQL in New Relic One.)
For an improved querying and charting experience, we recommend using New Relic One chart builder and dashboards.
Use the Events data explorer to view and explore the data available to you. The UI includes:
- A dropdown that lets you select a data type, like
- A time-based chart for that data.
- A sample of that data type, showing its attached attributes, and the ability to see other samples.
- Ability to search by group by and search for specific attributes.
The most recent sample for the chosen data type is listed at the bottom of the page. Default attributes are underlined.
To see more samples, select See more samples. You may need to scroll left and right to see the full table of data.
The amount of data stored for a given event type can run into the hundreds of thousands, or even millions, of records. This report only shows a small sample. Use this UI to review the structure of the data, not the contents of a specific record. For example, you can use it to make sure an attribute is populating properly.