The Java agent is a fully-featured library that automatically collects data from many popular servers, frameworks, libraries, and datastores (for a full list, see Compatibility and requirements). It also has a significant feature set. However, there are always additional requests for functionality and instrumentation of new libraries. The Java agent provides extension modules for this purpose.
Extension modules fall into three general categories:
- Incubator instrumentation modules: Experimental new support to collect data from specific libraries
- Archived instrumentation modules: Instrumentation for libraries that the original company or author no longer maintains or updates.
- Feature extension modules: Code that adds new behavior to the agent, independent of any specific library.
If your library isn't covered by the automatic instrumentation or by an instrumentation module, you can still collect data with custom instrumentation.
If you have feedback, questions, or problems with this instrumentation, create a post in New Relic's Support Forum, and tag your post with
Install extension modules
We recommend updating to the latest Java agent version before installing an extension module. To install an extension module:
- Download the appropriate
.jarfile from module lists below.
- Locate the directory that contains your
newrelic.ymlfiles. In that directory, create a sub-directory named
extensions(if there is not already one there).
- Copy the
.jarextension module you downloaded into the
- For Feature extension modules, update your
newrelic.ymlwith feature-specific configuration.
- Restart your server.
- Send some traffic to the server or host that will exercise the feature or instrumentation.
Java agent extension modules are subject to the New Relic Java agent licenses, which are included in each module jar's
Feature extension modules
Extension modules are additional libraries that add commonly-requested functionality.
To use the an extension module, download it and put it in the Extensions Directory.
Incubator instrumentation modules
Incubator modules are experimental instrumentation, which we may build into the agent's automatic instrumentation in the future.
These are the incubator modules that are currently available:
Archived instrumentation modules
Archived modules are instrumentation for libraries that are no longer maintained by the original company or author. Because the target library isn't being updated, our support for archived modules has designated end dates.
These are the archived modules that are currently available: