Well-defined alerts help notify individuals or teams about changes in their systems. New Relic Alerts gives you a single, coordinated alerting tool across your New Relic products. This allows you to manage alert policies and conditions that focus on the metrics for entities (such as mobile apps in New Relic Mobile) that you care about the most.
After you set up mobile alerts and define alert conditions for your New Relic product entities (targets), you can view that information in the New Relic Alerts UI. You can also view alert policy information in the UI for individual New Relic products.
Mobile alert conditions
There are several unique conditions available for mobile alerts.
To change an existing alert condition's threshold:
- Go to alerts.newrelic.com > Alert Policies
- Select the policy that you would like to change.
- Select the condition within the policy, then the threshold for that condition.
- Change the metric or thresholds for the condition.
To set up a new alert policy, follow our basic process.
Conditions have customizable thresholds that fall into the following categories:
- Execution time
Execution time metrics include Database, Images, JSON, Network, and View loading. Define the thresholds for these metrics by selecting a time and duration.
Error metrics include Network error percentage and Status error percentage. Define the thresholds for these metrics by selecting a error percentage and duration.
- Crash reporting
You may want to be notified when your app's crash rate goes above a certain threshold. Define the thresholds for these metrics by selecting an error percentage and duration.
Create your own custom metric to fit specific alert needs. Add a name for the customized metric, and define your own thresholds.
View policies and conditions
To view alert policy and condition information for a specific mobile app directly from New Relic Mobile:
- Go to rpm.newrelic.com/mobile > Mobile apps > (select a mobile app) > Settings > Alert conditions.
- From the Alert conditions page, use the available tools to search, sort, view, or update the alert conditions and their associated policies.
View events and activities
To view summary information about events and other activity directly from New Relic Mobile:
- Go to rpm.newrelic.com/mobile > Mobile apps.
- From the index, mouse over the entity's color-coded health status, select a link from the Mobile activity list, or select a mobile app to view additional details.
For example, if a Critical alert violation occurs:
- The health status indicator turns red on the Mobile index and on the selected app.
- The background color for various charts changes to pink.
- The Mobile activity list on the Mobile index shows Warning (yellow) and Critical (red) violations as applicable.
To learn more about the violation in New Relic Alerts, mouse over or select any pink area on a chart. For more information and examples, see View events from their products.
View alert violations
If an alert condition has thresholds set up for Warning (yellow) or Critical (red) violations, the color-coded health status for a product entity will change to indicate a violation. You can view the violations directly from the mobile app's page in New Relic Mobile:
- Go to rpm.newrelic.com/mobile > Mobile apps > (select a mobile app) > Events > Violations.
- From the Violations index, use the available tools to search, sort, or view violations for the selected mobile app.
- Optional: To view or update the alert policies, conditions, or thresholds that triggered the violations, select the corresponding link.
You can also view Warning and Critical violations from the New Relic Alerts UI for specific incidents or for incidents and events across all products. New Relic Alerts sends alert notifications only for Critical (red) violations.