Our lookups feature lets you enrich your log data, and other New Relic-stored data, with data about your business that you define in a CSV file.
When you upload a lookup table, you can then use that data to enrich your queries of New Relic data. For example, you might upload a table that maps host IDs to human-readable host names, and then use that to create a chart that displays the human-readable host names.
Lookup tables help you:
- Query data that isn't present in your New Relic account
- Make your telemetry data easier to understand
- Group data in custom ways
For examples of queries using lookups, see How to query lookup table data.
Some tips when adding a table:
- The table name is what you'll use to reference that table when you write a NRQL query.
- Table data isn't obfuscated, so avoid uploading sensitive information.
- It can take several minutes for an added or updated table to be available in a NRQL query.
When you delete a table, that data is no longer available in NRQL queries, so you should try to make sure a deleted table's data isn't being used in important dashboards.
The UI for uploading lookup tables is located in the logs UI, but you can use your lookup table data when querying any data type, not just logs.
To find the lookup table UI: From one.newrelic.com, click Logs, and then click Lookup tables. From there, you can upload, download, update, and delete tables.
Alternatively, you can add and manage tables using the NRQL Lookups API. The NRQL Lookups API supports uploading lookup tables as a CSV file and a JSON object.
When a value is read from a CSV file, the system will attempt to parse the value to a boolean, number, or string value.
If you're ready to use your table in a query, see How to query lookup table data.
Some more details about lookup tables:
- Tables can only be queried from the account in which the table was uploaded.
- Each account has a limit of 20 lookup tables.
- Lookup table data can't be used in NRQL alert conditions.
In addition to the general requirements for a CSV file, here are our requirements for uploading lookup table files: