As applications move towards the cloud, microservices architecture is becoming more dispersed, making the ability to monitor logs essential. New Relic offers a fast, scalable log management platform so you can connect your logs with the rest of your telemetry and infrastructure data in a single place.
Our log management solution provides deeper visibility into application and infrastructure performance data (events, errors, traces, and more) to reduce mean-time-to-resolve (MTTR) and quickly troubleshoot production incidents.
one.newrelic.com > Logs: From the main logs UI page, you can see all your logs and then filter down to logs with specific text, or other attributes.
Log management provides a way to connect your log data with the rest of your application and infrastructure data. You can get to the root cause of problems quickly, without losing context from switching between tools. For example, you can:
- Get relevant data across the New Relic UI that provides logs in context of issues in your apps and hosts.
- Dive deeper into log data by using our Logs UI, and create custom charts, dashboards, and alerts.
- Instantly search through your logs.
- Troubleshoot performance issues without switching between other tools.
- Visualize everything in a single place.
To forward your log data to New Relic, you can use one or more of these options:
- Use our APM agents to report logs. By default, our APM agents do two things: add metadata to your logs, which gives you logs in context (ability to see logs data in various relevant places in our platform) and forward your logs to New Relic. This is a popular option for DevOps teams and smaller organizations because it lets you easily report application logs, with no additional third-party solutions required. Learn more about APM logs.
- Use our infrastructure agent to report logs. With our infrastructure agent, you can capture any logs present on your host, including your app logs. Compared to using an APM agent to report logs, this can take a little more setting up but gives you much more powerful options (for example, ability to collect custom attributes, which you can't do with APM agents).
- Use third-party log services. We have a wide range of integrations for other log services, including Amazon, Microsoft, Fluentd, Fluent Bit, Kubernetes, Logstash, and more.
- Reports logs using the Log API or TCP endpoint.
- Use the OpenTelemetry SDK to send logs from your apps to an OpenTelemetry collector, which can forward them to New Relic via OTLP.
For more on log forwarding options and specific use cases, see Forward logs.
To find your logs in New Relic:
You can also query the
Log data type. Here's a simple example NRQL query:
SELECT * FROM Log
Access to log management capabilities depends on a user's user type. For more details, see user type capabilities.
Log-related permissions are governed by several log-related capabilities.
Ready to get started with our log management solutions?
- If you don't have one already, create a New Relic account. It's free, forever.
- Set up one of our options for reporting logs.
- Explore relevant log data across your platform, including errors, distributed traces, hosts, and more.
- Use our Logs UI as an easy workflow through all logs, attributes, patterns, live-tail logging, and queries. Add alerts, query your data, and create dashboards.