New Relic infrastructure monitoring provides an integration for Microsoft Azure Virtual Machines (VMs) that reports data from your Azure VMs service to New Relic. This document explains how to activate this integration and describes the data that can be captured.
New Relic's integration for Azure Virtual Machines reports data about your VMs service, like the VM ID, the VM size, the availability set, and the region name. You can monitor and alert on your Azure VMs data from New Relic, and you can create custom queries and chart dashboards.
- New Relic infrastructure agent installed with Infrastructure agent version 1.0.775 or higher. (Update the infrastructure agent.)
- New Relic Azure integrations activated
To enable this integration follow standard procedures to activate your Azure service in New Relic.
You must install the infrastructure agent on each VM to see metrics from that host. Connecting your Azure subscription allows New Relic to access VM metadata.
Configuration and polling
You can change the polling frequency and filter data using configuration options.
Default polling information for the Virtual Machines integration:
- Polling interval: 5 minutes
- Resolution: 1 data point per minute
Find and use data
To find your integration data, go to one.newrelic.com > Infrastructure > Azure and look for the integration.
You can query and explore your data using the
AzureVirtualMachineSample event type. The
provider value is
For more on how to find and use integration data, see Understand and use data.
Other system data
The Azure Virtual Machines integration also collects the following attributes about the service and its configuration:
- Availability zone
- Instance type
- Instance ID
If you use Host not reporting alert conditions, the importing of Azure metadata for your VMs will change the hosts registry and result in false alert notifications. To prevent false positives:
- For each Azure instance, disable its Host not reporting alert condition.
- Update the infrastructure agent for all instances that used this alert condition.
- Re-enable each Host not reporting alert condition.