Good alerts help notify individuals or teams about changes in their systems. New Relic Alerts provides a single, coordinated alerting tool across New Relic products. This allows you to manage alert policies and conditions that focus on the metrics for entities (such as apps or key transactions in New Relic APM) that you care about the most.
After you set up one or more alert policies and define alert conditions for your New Relic product entities (targets), you can view that information in the New Relic Alerts UI. You can also view alert policy information in the UI for individual New Relic products.
Access to this feature depends on your subscription level.
View policies and conditions from APM
To view alert policy and condition information for a specific app or key transaction directly from New Relic APM:
App: Go to rpm.newrelic.com/apm > (select an app) > Settings > Alert conditions.
Key transaction: Go to rpm.newrelic.com/apm > Key transactions > (select a key transaction) > Settings > Alert conditions.
- From the Alert conditions page, use the available tools to search, sort, view, or update the alert conditions and their associated policies.
View events and activities from APM
To get a high-level overview of all your applications and services, use the entity explorer in New Relic One.
To view summary information about events and other activity directly from New Relic APM:
App: Go to rpm.newrelic.com/apm.
Key transaction: Go to rpm.newrelic.com/apm > Key transactions.
- From the index, mouse over the entity's color-coded health status, select a link from the Application activity list, or select a specific browser app or key transaction to view additional details.
For example, if a Critical alert violation occurs:
- The health status indicator turns red on the APM index and on the selected app.
- The background color for various charts changes to pink.
- The Application activity list on the APM index and on the selected app's Overview page shows Warning (yellow) and Critical (red) violations as applicable.
To learn more about the violation in New Relic Alerts, mouse over or select any pink area on a chart. For more information and examples, see View events from their products.
View alert violations from APM
If an alert condition has thresholds set up for Warning (yellow) or Critical (red) violations, the color-coded health status for an entity will change to indicate a violation. You can view the violations directly from the app's or key transaction's page in New Relic APM:
App: Go to rpm.newrelic.com/apm > (select an app) > Events > Violations.
Key transaction: Go to rpm.newrelic.com/apm > Key transactions > (select a key transaction) > Events > Violations.
- From the Violations index, use the available tools to search, sort, or view violations for the selected app or key transaction.
- Optional: To view or update the alert policies, conditions, or thresholds that triggered the violations, select the corresponding link.
You can also view Warning and Critical violations from the New Relic Alerts UI for specific incidents or for incidents and events across all products. New Relic Alerts sends alert notifications only for Critical (red) violations.