New Relic APM's Overview page provides general information about the selected app, including transaction times, Apdex score, CPU usage, throughput (requests per minute or rpm), transactions, error rate, recent events, and server information.
To view your app's page: From the New Relic menu bar, select APM > (selected app). The Monitoring > Overview page automatically appears. (For more information about using New Relic APM's Applications index, see Viewing your applications list.)
Understand overview charts
Use the Overview page for an at-a-glance understanding of your website's performance with these charts:
|APM Overview chart||Comments|
|Transactions response time||This stacked chart represents the response time of web or non-web transactions in your app. Segments in the chart vary depending on which agent you are using. Some charts may have an independent line for response time that represents the relationship between response time and total time.|
|Apdex score||This chart measures the performance of your app based on its Apdex T value during the selected time window. To view additional details, hover over the question question circle icon or the chart's End user and App server lines.|
|Throughput||This chart illustrates the requests per minute for either web or non-web transactions. To change the type of transaction, select the Transaction response time chart's dropdown arrow, and then select Web or Non-web.|
|Error rate||This chart shows the number of errors that have occurred in the current time window. The tooltip that appears when you hover over the Error rate chart shows the combined throughput for both web and non-web transactions. To understand how error rate is calculated, see Application error rate example.|
Vertical bar markers
Vertical colored bars on the main Overview chart indicate events that have occurred in the history of the application.
- Red vertical bar: This indicates an outage or alert has occurred. To view alert information, mouse over this bar.
- Blue vertical bar: This indicates a deployment marker has been created. To view deployment information, mouse over this bar.
- Black vertical bar: This indicates that Apdex settings have changed for the application or browser, New Relic Browser has been enabled or disabled, or the detailed country selection in New Relic Browser has changed.
|If you want to...||Do this...|
|Change how data appears on the main chart||Select the chart title's drop-down arrow, and then select your choice of view options, including histograms or percentiles if available.|
|View threshold levels for your app's Apdex score||Mouse over the Apdex score ? icon. For non-web apps, the Apdex chart is blank because Apdex is not applicable to this class of apps.|
|View trends in transaction time, Apdex, and throughput||
Select the Compare with yesterday and last week checkbox.
The checkbox is only available when viewing the Web transaction response time chart with the time picker window Ending now. The checkbox is unavailable if you are viewing histograms, percentiles, or custom dates.
|View app performance since the last deployment|
|View the Transactions page||Select the Transactions table's heading on the APM Overview page. Or, to view details about a specific transaction (including operations, transaction traces, and key transactions), select its name.|
|View the Errors page||
Select the Error rate chart's title on the APM Overview page. You can also view the Errors page from APM > (selected app) > Events > Errors.
In order to view browser details about page load timing (sometimes referred to as real user monitoring or RUM), you must enable this feature from Browser settings. However, if your app has never reported any browser monitoring data, you must first enable it from the application's settings:
- From the New Relic menu bar, select APM > (selected app) > Settings > Application.
- From the New Relic Browser section, select the Enable browser monitoring? checkbox.
- Select Apdex values for browser monitoring and server requests, or leave the defaults.
- Optional: Select up to five countries or regions for browser monitoring to highlight on the Geography page.
- Select Save application settings.
- To enable additional features, follow standard procedures from Browser > (selected app) > Settings.
After page load timing is set up, the APM Overview page provides summary information and direct links to detailed information on the app's corresponding Browser Overview page.
- To view chart details with browser page load time, select the main chart's Browser link.
- To view the Apdex score for browsers, select the Apdex chart's Browser link.
The APM Overview page provides summary information and direct links to individual pages. From the Servers section of the APM Overview page, do any of the following:
- Toggle between a table view of the hosts or breakout metric details of each host.
- Select an individual server's name.
- Select an individual server's CPU usage or Memory.
You can also select a server from the Servers drop-down below the New Relic menu bar.
Server CPU usage % is calculated as though the application is running on one CPU core. See CPU usage is over 100% for more information on this calculation.
For more help
Additional documentation resources include:
- Transactions page (viewing the selected app's transaction requests by percent of wall clock time and relevant throughputs)
- Database and Slow Queries page (viewing database transactions, operations, throughput, and transaction time, as well as slow query traces if available)
- External services page (viewing calls to out-of-process services such as web services, resources in the cloud, and any other network calls)
- JVM metrics page (viewing additional metrics collected by the Java agent, including thread pools, HTTP sessions, and transactions)
- View an app's alert information (how to view information about an app's alert policies, conditions, violations, and other activity directly from New Relic APM)
- Response time (understanding response time and total time in APM charts)