External service instrumentation captures calls to out-of-process services such as web services, resources in the cloud, and any other network calls. (It does not include other first class back-end components such as MemCache and the database itself.)
APM's External services page provides charts with your top five external services by response time and external calls per minute. You can also sort the list of external services by slowest average response time, most time consuming, or highest throughput (requests per minute). In our UI, this is also referred to as web external or background external data.
To view out-of-process services for your app:
- Do one of the following:
- To view detailed information about a service, select its name.
- Use any of New Relic's standard user interface functions to drill down into detailed information.
If you need more help, check out these support and learning resources:
- Browse the Explorers Hub to get help from the community and join in discussions.
- Find answers on our sites and learn how to use our support portal.
- Run New Relic Diagnostics, our troubleshooting tool for Linux, Windows, and macOS.
- Review New Relic's data security and licenses documentation.