To install New Relic you will need:
Downloading New Relic
To download the latest New Relic agent:
- Log in to New Relic.
- From the New Relic menu bar, select (account) > Account settings.
- Select the option to download the agent for your platform.
As part of the installation process you will use the newrelic.jar and newrelic.yml files.
Your newrelic.yml (config) file should work without modification. If you decide to customize your config file, see Java agent configuration.
- In your WAR file, add the newrelic.jar and newrelic.yml files to WEB-INF/lib/.
- Re-package and deploy your new WAR file, as a new application or an update to a previous application.
Note: These directions are for the Tomcat 6/7 container. You may need to alter the file path for your container.
- From the Default Environment page, select Environment Details > Overview.
- Select Edit Configuration.
From the Container tab, enter the following into the JVM Command Line Options field:
For Tomcat 6
For Tomcat 7
- Select Apply Changes.
The JVM will restart and the application should start appearing in your New Relic dashboard within minutes.
Note: Some versions appear to have a parsing issue that reques the backslashes to be escaped:
For more help
Additional documentation resources include:
- Elastic Beanstalk documentation (Amazon documentation for Elastic Beanstalk)
- Java agent self installer (directions for working with the config file)
- Manual Java agent installation (directions for manual install on Java platforms)
- Java agent configuration (directions for manual install on Java platforms)
- New Relic for Java (system requirements and directions for other Java platforms)