Set a custom user identifier value to associate user sessions with analytics events and attributes.
Compatible with version 5.9.0 or higher.
This method sets a custom user identifier value to associate mobile user sessions with New Relic Insights events. This method can be called anytime after the New Relic iOS agent starts.
A user identifier is useful for several reasons. Using the Crash analysis UI, you can:
- Find crashes specific to a user. Focusing on one particular crash for one user often is enough to quickly resolve the issue.
- Filter all crashes to show the occurrences for a user (or group of users) for each crash type; or, filter the crash list to show those users affected by each crash type. If the user ID is represented as an email address, it's then easy to reach out and let them know when there is a solution available that addresses those crashes.
If you do not want to explicitly identify users because of privacy rules, this method is still useful when tracking user segments, such as paid vs. free end users, or registered vs. unregistered users. This allows you to filter or facet on the number and types of crashes experienced by each segment, and do outreach based on that segment.
For context on how to use this API, see the documentation about sending custom attributes and events to Insights for:
Required. Sets user ID.
true if it succeeds, or
false if it doesn't.
+ (BOOL) setUserId:(NSString*)userId;
BOOL userIdWasSet = [NewRelic setUserId:@"SampleUserName"];
NewRelic.setUserId(userId: String!) -> Bool
let userIdWasSet = NewRelic.setUserId("SampleUserName")
If you need more help, check out these support and learning resources:
- Browse the Explorers Hub to get help from the community and join in discussions.
- Find answers on our sites and learn how to use our support portal.
- Run New Relic Diagnostics, our troubleshooting tool for Linux, Windows, and macOS.
- Review New Relic's data security and licenses documentation.