To set up distributed tracing, you'll complete these three general steps:
- Identify services: Identify and write down the endpoints, services, languages, and systems that are used to complete this request (you'll need this information in the next step). If you have an environment diagram like the following, you could use it to create a list of services handling requests:
Instrument services: Instrument each service you identify so it can send your trace data. Some tools, such as APM agents, instrument services automatically, while other tools require you to insert some code in the services. Click the icon below for instrumentation steps:
View traces: After you instrument the services, generate some traffic in your application, and then go to the New Relic UI to see your trace data.
If you need more help, check out these support and learning resources:
- Browse the Explorers Hub to get help from the community and join in discussions.
- Find answers on our sites and learn how to use our support portal.
- Run New Relic Diagnostics, our troubleshooting tool for Linux, Windows, and macOS.
- Review New Relic's data security and licenses documentation.