Browser monitoring's Summary page summarizes the real-user browser performance of your app. Use the Summary page to:
- View trends in an app's browser-side performance
- Quickly troubleshoot page load timing issues
- Navigate to other Browser UI pages
View the Summary page
To view a summary of browser performance for an app:
- Go to one.newrelic.com, click Browser, and select an app from the Browser index.
- From the app's Summary page, use standard New Relic page functions to drill down into detailed information.
The Summary page includes:
- Web transactions chart
- Apdex score chart
- Throughput chart
Web transactions chart
The Web transactions chart is the main chart on the Summary page. It shows a breakdown of users' browser load time, with average values for the selected time period displayed in the upper right corner of the chart. This chart appears with more detail about the page load timing process on the Page views page.
- Web transactions chart segments
The Web transactions chart includes into these segments:
Page load timing segments Comments Web application
This is the time spent in the app code.
This is the time it takes for a request to make a round trip over the Internet (network latency). For apps that have been deployed using the copy/paste method, the Network measurement includes web application time.
This measures the time between the request entering your production environment and the application processing it.
This is the time the browser spent parsing and interpreting the page HTML. It is measured by the browser's
- Single page app (SPA) monitoring load time
If you enabled SPA monitoring, the Web transactions chart will display SPA data by default. The SPA chart breaks down load time into these segments:
- Initial page load: A traditional URL change stemming from a load or reload of a URL.
- Route change: A view change or update that doesn't require a URL reload.
- Custom: A custom event created using the Browser API.
Page load timing for SPA monitoring is handled differently than standard page load timing. To switch back to the standard page load timing chart: Select the chart title's dropdown, then select Page view load time.
- Web transactions chart functions
Web transactions charts also have the following functions:
If you want to... Do this... Find deployments, outages, Apdex settings changes
Review the areas on the chart that indicate events and changes:
- Black vertical bar: Apdex settings have changed
- Blue vertical bar: Deployment
- Yellow or red area: This indicates alert thresholds have been violated.
To view additional details, mouse over the vertical bar.
Change chart data format
To switch to histogram and percentage displays: From the chart title's dropdown, select from the available options.
Compare with past data
Select the Compare with yesterday and last week checkbox to see an overlay comparing these measurements. This option is not available for SPA charts.
Switch between Browser and APM
For Browser apps also monitored by APM:
- To view the app's Summary page: Select the App server link.
- To return to the Browser Summary page: From the APM Summary page, select the Browser link.
The Apdex chart does not use SPA data: it only uses standard page view timing.
Other functions of this chart include:
|If you want to...||Do this...|
|Switch between Browser and APM||
For Browser apps also monitored by APM:
|View Apdex thresholds||Mouse over the question mark icon beside the Apdex chart title to see what Apdex thresholds you have set for both Browser and (if applicable) APM.|
The Throughput chart displays browser throughput as pages per minute (ppm). The value in the upper right of the chart is the average value for the selected time range.
If you have enabled SPA monitoring enabled and the Summary page shows the SPA load time chart, the Throughput chart will also use SPA data.
App server requests per minute (rpm) may show a different measurement than the browser page load timing's pages per minute (ppm).
Depending on your subscription level, the following tables and charts may also be on your Summary page:
- Recent session traces: Summarizes the Session traces page.
- AJAX response time: Summarizes the AJAX page.
Response time charts
For response time charts, you can choose a time-based chart view, a histogram view, or a percentile graph view. For details on these, see Response time chart types.