Our infrastructure agent automatically monitors your Docker containers. With Docker monitoring you can:
- Group containers by tags, attributes, and other metadata.
- Search for containers relevant to your monitoring scenario.
- Link to related entities that may be affected by issues with the container.
- Set Docker-related alert conditions.
Requirement details for automatic Docker container monitoring for New Relic's infrastructure agent:
- A New Relic account. Don't have one? Sign up for free!. No credit card required.
- Infrastructure agent 1.8.32 or higher running on Linux
- If using CentOS, you must have CentOS version 6.0 or higher
- Docker version 1.12 or higher
If you meet the requirements and have installed the correct infrastructure monitoring agent, there are no additional steps to enable Docker monitoring. If Docker is running, data will automatically be reported.
You can also use a Docker image containing the infrastructure monitoring agent. For more information, see Docker container for infrastructure monitoring.
To view your Docker data in the New Relic UI, use either of these options:
Go to one.newrelic.com > Infrastructure > Hosts > Containers.
Go to one.newrelic.com > Infrastructure > Third-party services, and select Docker-related links.
For more information, see Query your data.
Docker attributes (metrics and metadata) are attached to the
ContainerSample event. Here's an example of a query to find out how many containers are associated with each Docker image:
SELECT uniqueCount(containerId) FROM ContainerSample FACET imageName SINCE 1 HOUR AGO TIMESERIES
To see all
ContainerSample attributes, use our data dictionary. Attributes include:
- General metadata (like
- CPU metrics (like
- Memory metrics (like
- Network metrics (like
Docker metrics are also attached to the
The reported data does not include information related to the container orchestrator (for example, ECS or Kubernetes). To monitor those, you can add the orchestrator's cluster and task names as labels.
To create Docker-related alert conditions, use either of these options: