Your end-user experience depends on your entire technology stack. You need to quickly understand what's causing a customer complaint or issue.
- Did the problem come from your infrastructure, your application, or the browsers that ultimately render it?
- Is it the result of a problematic internet provider, a problem in your own data center with failing CPU or memory, or something else?
More than Real User Monitoring (RUM)
But Browser goes far beyond the initial page load to measure full page life cycle data. For example, our Browser UI shows you:
- Actual performance data, such as by page view popularity and user satisfaction (Apdex) scores
- Perceived performance data that measures how quickly your async or dynamic visuals and interactive page contents display
- Session performance with a detailed timeline and heat map of the load and interaction events during a webpage's full life cycle
- AJAX requests indicating problems with timing, end points, and specific locations in the webpage
- Hash-based route changes in apps with single-page application (SPA) architectures
These tools (and more!) help your teams optimize your end users' page load experience, eliminate bugs, and troubleshoot faster across your full stack.
Examine user perceptions
Real user data gives insights into actual page performance, but you also need to look into your users' perception of your site's performance. Pages can load content in many different ways, and users control when they interact with that content. This is why some user-centric performance metrics happen outside the standard window onload (page load time) in the Browser agent.
PageViewTiming event provides a more real-time delivery mechanism that does not have a dependency on any other event. Additional metrics include:
- First paint, first contentful paint, and largest contentful paint
- First input delay
- First interaction
This helps you understand how users experience your site, both from visual and responsiveness standpoints.
Improve interactive app performance
Our single-page app (SPA) monitoring automatically tracks route changes, initial page loads, and synchronous and asynchronous activity during browser interactions. You can also use the Browser agent and SPA API to monitor virtually anything that executes inside the browser.
If you are a developer, SPA monitoring can help you:
- Create faster, more responsive, highly interactive apps.
- Monitor the throughput and performance that real users are experiencing.
- Troubleshoot and resolve problems within the context of the page load.
- Query and visualize the data to assist with business decisions.
- Bring better apps to the marketplace more quickly.
Correlate front-end and back-end problems
With New Relic One, you can instrument any type of data you need, such as metrics, events, logs, and traces. This helps you find actionable data about your end users' experience across the stack. For example:
|Locations or domains|
|Trends in interactions|
Isolate latency from the web browser through back-end services with distributed tracing. The UI helps you see the connection across across a full transaction, from browser activity, to time spent in network, to back-end activity.
Explore your end users' experience with your app segmented by any types of browsers they use, including:
This helps you quickly determine whether problems with page load timing may be related to a specific browser type or platform, or whether the problem is more widespread.
Get started with Browser
Follow these basic steps, and you'll quickly be up and running with Browser!
- Review the compatibility details and basic requirements for Browser monitoring.
- Install the Browser agent.
- View summary data from your Browser Overview page, then drill down into page load timing details and other UI data.
- Configure your alerts for key performance data, or use our Applied Intelligence solutions to reduce alert noise, correlate incidents, and automatically detect anomalies.
- Query and visualize your default data (or customize your own), then analyze what that data says about your business.
- Customize and share your own charts and dashboards.