Our Python agent auto-instruments your code so you can start monitoring applications. You can use our launcher, or follow the instructions in this document to complete a basic Python agent installation for our supported frameworks.
To use Python or any other agent, as well as the rest of our observability platform, join the New Relic family! Sign up to create your free account in only a few seconds. Then ingest up to 100GB of data for free each month. Forever.
These instructions are for applications on frameworks that the Python agent automatically instruments.
- If you want to monitor non-web Python scripts, custom background tasks, or an application on a non-auto-instrumented framework, see our documentation about monitoring non-web scripts or functions.
- If you are using Docker, install the agent within each container.
To install the New Relic Python agent for an application on an auto-instrumented framework:
Install the newrelic Python package using pip by running:pip install newrelic
Generate the agent configuration file by running the command:
newrelic-admin generate-config YOUR_LICENSE_KEY newrelic.ini
If you control how your web application or WSGI server is started, use the following New Relic admin script command in front of your usual startup command options:
NEW_RELIC_CONFIG_FILE=newrelic.ini newrelic-admin run-program YOUR_COMMAND_OPTIONS
If you cannot run the admin script in this way, please read the advanced install instructions for more context and other install options.
Start or restart your Python web application or WSGI server. Wait five minutes, then go to the New Relic UI to view your data.
For more detailed installation procedures and helpful context, see Python agent installation.
If you cannot use the standard install, or if you want more details and context for the install procedures, see our advanced installation documentation. You can also install the Python agent in a Google App Engine flexible environment. For more information, see Compatibility and requirements.
For suggestions on what to do after installing the agent, see Next steps.
If you need more help, check out these support and learning resources:
- Browse the Explorers Hub to get help from the community and join in discussions.
- Find answers on our sites and learn how to use our support portal.
- Run New Relic Diagnostics, our troubleshooting tool for Linux, Windows, and macOS.
- Review New Relic's data security and licenses documentation.