The daemon (
newrelic-daemon) acts as a proxy between the PHP agent and the New Relic collector to reduce network traffic and to improve response time for instrumented applications. The daemon process starts when your system starts, and must be running for data to be sent to New Relic.
Beginning with version 3.0 of the PHP agent, the daemon can be automatically configured and started by the agent. Auto-configuration does not require the
newrelic.cfg file. This is the recommended configuration.
However, there are still some cases where manually starting the daemon is useful. For more information about the startup process, see New Relic daemon startup modes.
A sample daemon configuration file was created during installation. To manually configure the daemon, copy and rename
/etc/newrelic/newrelic.cfg and edit the file. All settings are optional and most have default values.
The agent will not automatically start the daemon if it finds a
newrelic.cfg file in the
If you need more help, check out these support and learning resources:
- Suggest a change and learn how to contribute to our PHP agent open source repository.
- Browse the Explorers Hub to get help from the community and join in discussions.
- Find answers on our sites and learn how to use our support portal.
- Run New Relic Diagnostics, our troubleshooting tool for Linux, Windows, and macOS.
- Review New Relic's data security and licenses documentation.