Owners, Admins, add-on managers, and Users. Restricted Users can view monitor results that run from a private location. Restricted Users cannot manage private locations configurations.
Private locations allow you to extend your New Relic Synthetics coverage to new geographical locations, and to monitor websites behind your firewall (like an intranet site).
What is a private location?
A private location is a collection of private minions. A minion is a containerized application, that receives and manages jobs set up via the Synthetics UI. A private location can contain any number of private minions.
Compatibility and requirements
To use private locations, first review these requirements and other factors:
|Enabling feature||Private locations are disabled by default, and are an add-on feature for paid Synthetics accounts. To activate this feature, contact your account representative or the sales desk.|
|Check budget||Checks from a private location count against your Synthetics check budget.|
|Synthetics horde endpoint||
For US-based accounts:
For EU-based accounts:
|Outbound network access||
The minion needs to connect to the Synthetics horde endpoint to receive and process jobs. If your firewall rules don't permit direct access, you must configure proxy access.
Test your connection to Synthetics horde with a successful response from the following command:
curl -X GET https://synthetics-horde.nr-data.net/synthetics/api/v1/ping
|Account access and permissions||
A private location set up with a master account can be used by the sub-accounts in that master account. A private location set up with a sub-account can only be used by that sub-account.
Create a private location
Before installing private minions, you need to create a private location. To create a new private location:
- Ensure you meet the requirements, including activating the feature by contacting your account representative.
- Go to synthetics.newrelic.com > Private locations. Then select plus-circle Add new.
- Type a Location Name.
Optionally, configure these additional settings:
- Description: Describe your private location for other account users.
- Verified script execution: Require a pass phrase when assigning scripts to this location, or when adding minions to the location.
- Select Create to save your changes.
After creating the location, Synthetics lists your Private location key so you can install a private minion.
Add jobs to the location queue
To add jobs to the queue for your location, follow standard procedures to add or edit a monitor and select your location from the Private locations list.
Manage private locations
New Relic Synthetics includes tools to manage locations and individual minions. To access these tools, go to synthetics.newrelic.com > Private locations. Then follow the appropriate steps:
- To clear the job queue, select Clear queue. This is useful when the number of scheduled jobs has increased faster than the minions can process them, such as when the minion is offline.
- To view the status of an individual minion, select the parent location's name from the list. Active minions are indicated by a green health status indicator. You can also view the last reported time for each minion, and check whether the minion software is out of date.
- To edit settings for a location or view its Private location key, select the pencil pencil icon next to that location.
- To delete a location, select the delete trash-o icon next to that location. This does not shut down any minions assigned to that location, which must be shut down manually or reassigned.
- Enable or disable verified script execution, which requires a pass phrase before you assign any scripts to the location. This requires you first set up the passphrase on the minion. For more information, see Verified script execution.
Each minion can run about 200 ping monitor checks per minute (about 8,640,000 checks per month). If the job queue for a particular location is growing, add additional minions. The exact capacity of the minions can vary depending on your network performance, the complexity of your scripts, as well as hardware configuration for the private minion.
Set proxy configuration
You can set proxy server configuration for Synthetics scripted monitors running from local private locations. See Synthetics Proxy settings for more information.
For more help
Additional documentation resources include:
- Install and configure private minions (how to install and setup the minion software, including proxy settings)
- Verified script execution (require a user to enter a pass phrase before they assign jobs to your minion)
- New Relic Synthetics (overview of Synthetics functionality with links to related docs)