In Grafana, you can configure New Relic as a Prometheus data source. Not only that, within Grafana you can query metrics stored in New Relic using the PromQL query language.
When you integrate Prometheus metrics with New Relic via Remote Write, Prometheus Agent or the OpenMetrics Integration (2.0+) and configure New Relic as a Prometheus data source in Grafana, you can use existing Grafana and seamlessly tap into the additional monitoring, reliability, and scale we provide.
Before you begin, make sure you’ve finished integrating Prometheus metrics and are running a recent enough version of Grafana.
- You should have either the Remote Write, Prometheus Agent or the OpenMetrics Integration ( v2.0+) set up before you can configure New Relic Prometheus data sources in Grafana.
- You can only configure New Relic Prometheus data sources using this method in Grafana versions 6.7.0 or newer. You will need to configure custom headers in the UI, and this isn’t possible with earlier versions. For details, see Configure New Relic as a Prometheus data source for Grafana.
Our Prometheus API emulates Prometheus' query APIs. We support the Prometheus query language (PromQL) through our PromQL-style query mode. We do our best to automatically translate PromQL syntax queries into the closest NRQL approximation.
For more information on how this works and differences you may observe between Prometheus and New Relic, see Supported PromQL features.
To make your New Relic data available in Grafana, you can configure a new or existing Prometheus data source in just a couple of simple steps:
- In the Grafana UI, add and configure a new data source.
- Save the new data source and start viewing your data.
Ready to configure a Grafana data source?
- Read the how-to documentation for setting up the Prometheus remote write integration, Prometheus Agent or the Prometheus OpenMetrics Integration.
- Read the how-to documentation for configuring Prometheus data sources in Grafana.