The integration of New Relic APM and New Relic Infrastructure lets you see your APM data and infrastructure data side by side, so you can find the root cause of problems more quickly. This document explains how the APM-Infrastructure integration works and how to make use of the shared data.
The main ways to find and use APM data in Infrastructure are:
- View APM charts on Infrastructure UI pages
- Filter hosts by application data
- Switch between Infrastructure and APM
- Examine APM data in Inventory and Events pages
Infrastructure data appears in APM in the host table on the APM Overview page.
How to integrate APM and Infrastructure
For New Relic APM and New Relic Infrastructure to be integrated, all of the following must be true:
- The New Relic APM agent and the Infrastructure agent must be installed on the same host
- Both agents must use the same New Relic license key
- They must use the same hostname
If the integration is not working, see Troubleshooting the APM-Infrastructure integration.
View APM charts
When your APM and Infrastructure accounts are linked, you will have access to APM data charts on these Infrastructure UI pages: Hosts, Network, Storage, and Processes.
To switch to different charts: select the dropdown beside a chart's name and choose a new chart. Application-related charts will be near the top.
Filter by application data
When your APM and Infrastructure accounts are linked, you can filter displayed host data using Applications:
- From the host filter, select Applications and select the application you want to filter on. On the Hosts page, you can also filter by selecting items in the Applications column.
Switch between Infrastructure and APM
When your APM and Infrastructure accounts are linked, you can switch over from Infrastructure to APM and vice versa for the same selected time range.
You can switch from Infrastructure to APM from these locations:
- From the host filter Applications menu
- On the Hosts page, when selecting applications in the Applications table column.
You can switch from APM to Infrastructure from the host table on the APM Overview page.
APM data in Inventory and Events
View host data in APM
When your APM and Infrastructure accounts are linked, you have more available host data in APM.
The APM Overview page contains a table with data about your app's hosts and instances, including:
- Response time
- Error rate
- CPU usage
You can toggle between a table view or breakout metric details for the individual hosts by selecting View table or Break out each metric by host.
For more information on host data on the APM Overview page, see Overview page host details.
Troubleshoot missing APM data
APM/Infrastructure integration should happen automatically if you have both the APM agent and the Infrastructure agent installed on the same host(s) and they use the same New Relic license key and have the same hostname set. If you do not see APM data in Infrastructure, see Troubleshooting.