Owner, Admins, and Add-on managers
You can close individual Critical (red) violations in an incident manually if they are assigned to the corresponding alert policy as a notification channel.
Automatic closing criteria
Alert conditions automatically close violations in these situations:
- The opposite of the threshold criteria that triggered the violation occurs.
- The alert condition is disabled, or the threshold is modified in a way that affects evaluation.
- The alert condition has a violation time-to-live set, and this period has passed since the associated incident opened. (This applies only to a subset of condition types.)
When any of these situations occur, New Relic Alerts resets the evaluation to start over from the end of the previous violation.
Example: Opposite of threshold closes the violation automatically
An alert condition for Apdex has a Critical condition set to:
Apdex has an apdex score below 0.80 for at least 5 mins
New Relic Alerts will automatically close any open violations under this condition when the Apdex score is above 0.80 for at least 5 minutes.
Manual closing examples
There may be times when you want to close a violation manually, for example:
- Temporary entities have triggered violations but they no longer exist, so New Relic Alerts cannot close their alert incident records automatically.
- Your alert condition was set up to send notifications on a custom metric that is no longer reported by the resource's agent.
- Other situations arise when you need to close a violation immediately.
Close a violation
To close an incident's violation from the user interface:
- Go to alerts.newrelic.com > Incidents > Open incidents > (select an incident).
- At the bottom of the selected incident's Violations page, select the Manually close violation link.
New Relic Alerts records and displays who closed the violation and when.
View a closed violation
To view a violation you have closed manually, use either of these methods:
- Follow standard procedures to view any open or closed incident: Go to alerts.newrelic.com > Incidents > All incidents > (select an incident).
- If you receive alert notifications by email, select the View incident details link in the email message.