Owner, Admins, and Add-on managers
You can close individual violations in an incident manually if they are assigned to the corresponding alert policy as a notification channel.
Automatic closing criteria
Alert conditions automatically close violations in these situations:
- The opposite of the threshold criteria that triggered the violation occurs.
- The alert condition is disabled, or the threshold is modified in a way that affects evaluation.
- The alert condition has a violation time-to-live set, and this period has passed since the associated incident opened. (This applies only to a subset of condition types.)
When any of these situations occur, New Relic Alerts resets the evaluation to start over from the end of the previous violation.
Example: Opposite of threshold closes the violation automatically
An alert condition for Apdex has a Critical condition set to:
Apdex has an apdex score below 0.80 for at least 5 mins
New Relic Alerts will automatically close open violations under this condition when the Apdex score is above 0.80 for at least 5 minutes.
Manual closing examples
There may be times when you want to close a violation manually; for example:
- Temporary entities (such as the Docker monitoring feature from New Relic Servers) have triggered violations but they no longer exist, so New Relic Alerts cannot close their alert incident records automatically.
- Your alert condition was set up to send notifications on a custom metric that is no longer reported by the resource's agent.
- Other situations arise when you need to close a violation immediately.
Close a violation
To close an incident's violation from the user interface:
- Go to alerts.newrelic.com > Incidents > Open incidents > (select an incident).
- At the bottom of the selected incident's Violations page, select the Manually close violation link.
New Relic Alerts records and displays who closed the violation and when.
View a closed violation
To view a violation you have closed manually, use either of these methods:
- Follow standard procedures to view any open or closed incident: Go to alerts.newrelic.com > Incidents > All incidents > (select an incident).
- If you receive alert notifications by email, select the View incident details link in the email message.