- Where applicable, existing instrumentation has been tested and verified as compatible with Jakarta EE 8. 900
- Add new instrumentation to support Jetty 10. 936
- Update to jfr-daemon 1.9.0 to address CVE-2020-29582 and improve CPU overhead. 937
- Add support to pass a boolean environment variable
NEWRELIC_DEBUGwhere setting it to
trueactivates the debug configuration. 890
- Improved performance by internally replacing regex replace with iterative char replace (thanks to @zowens for this contribution) 933
- Update the
httpurlconnectioninstrumentation to use newer distributed tracing APIs so that spans are correctly marked as external calls in distributed traces and contain the expected
- Illegal Access Exception is no longer thrown from apps using NR agent with scala 2.12 and Java 11. 876
- New Relic recommends that you upgrade the agent regularly to ensure that you're getting the latest features and performance benefits. Additionally, older releases will no longer be supported when they reach end-of-life.
To identify which version of the Java agent you're currently using, run
java -jar newrelic.jar -v. Your Java agent version will be printed to your console.
Then, to update to the latest Java agent version:
- Back up the entire Java agent root directory to another location. Rename that directory to
#.#.#is the agent version number.
- Download the agent.
- Unzip the new agent download file, then copy
newrelic.jarinto the original Java agent root directory.
- Compare your old
newrelic.ymlwith the newly downloaded
newrelic.ymlfrom the zip, and update the file if needed.
- Restart your Java dispatcher.
If you experience issues after the Java agent update, restore from the backed-up New Relic agent directory.
We add new settings to
newrelic.yml as we release new versions of the agent. You can use
diff or another ou've made to the file, such as your license key, app name, or changes to default settings.
For example, if you
diff the default
newrelic.yml files for Java agent versions 7.7.0 and 7.8.0, the results printed to the console will be:
➜ diff newrelic_7.7.0.yml newrelic_7.8.0.yml98c98< #forwarding:---> forwarding:100,101c100,101< # When true, application logs will be forwarded to New Relic. The default is false.< #enabled: false---> # When true, application logs will be forwarded to New Relic. The default is true.> enabled: true
In this example, these lines were added to the default
newrelic.yml in Java agent version 7.8.0. If you are moving to 7.8.0 or higher, you should add these new lines to your original