OpenCensus is a set of libraries for various languages that allow you to collect application metrics and distributed traces, then transfer the data to a backend of your choice. New Relic's OpenCensus exporters send telemetry data from your OpenCensus-instrumented applications to your New Relic account.
To enable a New Relic OpenCensus exporter:
- If you don't have one already, create a New Relic account. It's free, forever.
- Follow the install procedures:
- Optional: Instead of using the native OpenCensus trace sampling, you can enable our Infinite Tracing feature. If you do this, you will typically want to configure OpenCensus to send us all trace data (learn more about sampling). To enable Infinite Tracing:
- In the New Relic UI, set up a trace observer.
- Configure the exporter to send data to the trace observer:
To find your data, go to one.newrelic.com and go to Explorer. From the Entities screen, search for your service by name. From there, you can explore your metrics using the Data explorer and build dashboards using your metrics. If you're also sending distributed tracing data, the distributed tracing feature is available to query and view traces.
Our OpenCensus exporter resources include: