To alert on custom metrics, follow standard procedures to add a condition to a policy. The condition's Thresholds section includes the option to select Custom > Search metric name, where you define your specific metric values. You can start typing the custom metric name or select from the list that automatically appears.
Use the policy's Thresholds section to define the custom metric values. These include:
- The exact custom metric name for the selected product category and targets. Note: wildcard characters are not allowed.
- Selected threshold value function. The options are average, minimum, maximum, count, and rate.
- Selected threshold level. The options are above, below, and equal to.
- Critical (required) and Warning (optional) threshold value and duration that will open a violation. For example,
5 units for at least 5 minutes.
- Condition name (required) for the custom metric.
To define the custom metric values for your condition:
From the policy's Alert conditions page, click Add a condition.
From the Categorize section, select the product and type of condition for the custom metric.
From the Select entities section, add one or more targets (entities) that use your custom metric.
From the Define thresholds > When target application section, select Custom > Search metric name, and begin typing the custom metric name, select from the list, or type the exact metric name.
Exception: The custom metric search is not enabled for:
Labels for New Relic APM apps
New Relic Plugins
To find the metric name in these situations, use the Data explorer. Then type the exact metric name in the Alerts Define thresholds page.
Provide the required threshold values for your custom metric.
From the Define thresholds > Condition name section, provide a meaningful name for your custom metric condition, maximum 100 characters.
Optional: Include the URL with runbook instructions for handling the situation.
Click Create condition.
Repeat these steps as necessary to create additional conditions for custom metrics.
After you save the condition, you can view the selected policy's Alert conditions page with a list of each condition. From here you can follow standard procedures to select and update the custom metric condition.
The Condition name does not appear in the Thresholds section for a saved condition. If you want to change the condition name for a custom metric, edit it from the selected policy's Alert conditions page:
- In the one.newrelic.com top nav, click Alerts & AI, click Alert policies, then (select a policy).
- Click a condition name to edit it, and then type a meaningful name for the condition.
If you have created a plugin or custom dashboard for your custom metric, you can view your custom metric name there. For other ideas about how to apply custom metrics (for example, to alert on received and transmitted network stats), visit the New Relic Explorers Hub.