To get started with New Relic APM, we're going to take you through the basics to manage your application. The first thing you need to do is see what's happening in your application. To do this, you'll need to install our agent in your environment.
Get data reporting
A New Relic agent is a piece of software that you install in your application or on a host to send performance data to New Relic. Agents are available for different products and coding languages; you only need to select the one you need. For example, if your application is written in Java, you will install the Java agent. Each language has specific instructions, so be sure to review the directions for your application's agent language.
Once your agent is properly installed and data is reporting to your application, you'll begin to see data about your application in the APM UI.
- Try this! Install your application
Specific installation steps vary, based on your application's agent language, but they all have the same basic requirements:
Verify compatibility and other requirements for your agent:
- From the APM UI, select the agent language, then follow the UI's installation workflow to download the agent.
Follow the step-by-step installation procedures for your agent:
- Make sure your application's configuration file includes your New Relic license key.
- In your application's configuration file, change New Relic's default application name to something meaningful for your organization.
- Generate some traffic for your application, then wait a few minutes for it to begin reporting data to New Relic.
You can make other changes to your configuration file to customize the data you want to see, but this is enough to get you started.
Any time you make changes to configuration files, you must save changes and restart your application before you will see those changes take effect.
- Try this! Name your application
The people who are most successful in monitoring their applications organize their data to make it easy to understand. You should name each of your applications consistently so that you will always know what data you are looking at. Using a convention like
<environment>-<appname>-<language>can make it much easier to spot patterns in your data.
To learn how to name your application, watch this video (less than 6 min.):
- Troubleshooting tips
If you are having trouble seeing your application or its data in APM, there are some common issues that may be causing the problem:
- Check the compatibility requirements for your agent.
- Ensure the correct license key is listed in your configuration file.
- Generate some traffic for your application.
- Wait a few minutes for data to start reporting to New Relic. (If your application completes its processes in less than one minute, it will not report to New Relic automatically. You'll need to update your configuration file to capture these short-lived processes.)
- Learn more about agent installation and configuration
Want to learn more about installing your application's APM agent? Watch the installation video that appears in the UI when you install the agent. For more information, see the agent configuration documentation.
Want to learn more about naming considerations across multiple applications? Watch this video (less than 4 min.):
Now that you have successfully installed your application, let's get started with using New Relic's UI to help you improve your application's performance.