This is an example installation using the New Relic Wikipedia plugin, which was built with the Java SDK for New Relic Plugins. The Wikipedia example plugin contains a zip file containing:
- A configuration folder with a properties file (for your New Relic license key) and a config file
- A jar file with JSON components for the metrics that appear on the plugin's dashboard
Plugins is not supported with accounts that host data in the EU region data center.
Typical Java plugin requirements
Requirements for the Wikipedia plugin are:
- New Relic account
- Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.6 or higher
- Git >= 1.8
Wikipedia plugin installation
This example refers to installing a Wikipedia example plugin.
Note: The Wikipedia example plugin may not visible in Plugin Central, as it is a "hidden" plugin that installs when you run the agent. You can also use any other plugin built with the Java SDK.
- Download the Wikipedia plugin from Github.
- Once downloaded, extract the archive file into the location where you want to run the agent.
- From the config directory, copy the template_newrelic.properties file to newrelic.properties.
- Edit this file and replace the string
YOUR_LICENSE_KEY_HEREwith the license key from your New Relic account.
- From your shell, run the following command to start the agent:
java -jar newrelic_wikipedia_plugin*.jar
Wikipedia plugin dashboard
To view plugin data, go to your New Relic Plugins menu bar, where you can select the plugin and view it directly.
- Sign in to New Relic.
- From the New Relic Plugins menu bar, select the Wikipedia plugin's menu name or icon.
- To view the plugin's default dashboard: From the plugin's summary page, select any component (instance).
You may need to wait a few minutes for data to appear.
For more help
Additional documentation resources include: