Plugin authors can change several plugin settings, including its icon, New Relic Plugins menu label, title, summary metrics, and dashboards. To add, change, or delete this information: From the New Relic menu bar, select your plugin, and then select Edit. You can also make changes at any time to published plugins.
The plugin's summary page includes an Edit button you can select to:
- Select a generic plugin icon for the New Relic Plugins menu bar. (This is not the same as the URL for your customized branding image you may choose as part of the publishing process.)
- Change your plugin's label for the New Relic Plugins menu bar. (By default, this is the first 11 characters of the plugin's Title field.)
- Change your plugin's title. (The default title is your plugin's GUID).
- Add, change, or delete your plugin's summary metrics and their alert thresholds.
- Add, change, or delete your plugin's dashboards. (Exception: You can edit but you cannnot delete your plugin's default dashboard, typically labeled Overview.)
When finished, be sure to save your changes.
Note: Some actions you perform when editing your plugin may cause your running components (instances) to stop displaying summary metrics for a short period of time. For example, if you add a new summary metric to your plugin, any monitored components or instances may have all summary metrics temporarily cleared. This may also close any outstanding related events and alerts. Depending on the components and other factors, you may need to wait ten to fifteen minutes before summary metrics begin to appear again.
After you publish your plugin, you can continue making changes. Recommendation: To avoid development and testing impacts on your users, maintain "development" and "production" versions. For more information, see Versioning your plugin.
Here is a summary of where to view or make changes to your plugin.
|Type of change||Edit||Publish||Gear icon||Other|
|Agent||See Versioning your plugin.|
|Alert conditions, customized for components (instances)||[check]|
|Alert conditions, defaults for summary metrics||[check]|
|Branding image (URL) that appears in Plugin Central||[check]|
|Components (instances): Removing from your plugin||[check]|
|Dashboards: Adding, editing, deleting||[check]||
Note: If you need to migrate dashboards between GUIDs, get help at Platform & Plugins.
|Developer Terms of Service||[check]|
|Icon that appears in the New Relic Plugins menu bar||[check]|
|Name for plugin (label) as it appears in the New Relic Plugins menu bar||[check]|
|Name for plugin (title) as it appears in Plugin Central||[check]|
|NPI Compatible designation||[check]|
|Summary metrics: Adding, editing, deleting||[check]||See Versioning your plugin.|
|URL for installation and setup instructions||[check]|
|URL for your support site||[check]|
|URL for your website ("About us")||[check]|
|Version: Development, production, etc.||See Versioning your plugin.|
To make these types of updates to your plugin:
- From the New Relic Plugins menu bar, select your plugin name.
- From your plugin's summary page, select Edit, Publish, or your component's (instance's) gear icon as applicable.
- Update the settings as needed, and then save your changes.
- When you are ready to release this version: From the New Relic Plugins menu bar, select your plugin name, and select Publish.
For more help
Additional documentation resources include:
- Checklist for developing plugins (a checklist for planning, creating, and publishing your plugin)
- How New Relic Plugins works with plugin data (guidelines, value methods, and unit conversions for your plugin's metrics)
- Creating summary metrics for plugins (changing your plugin's summary metric settings in the New Relic Plugins user interface)
- Working with plugin dashboards (changing the information and appearance of your plugin's dashboards in the New Relic Plugins user interface)