You can add public or private notes to charts on any page in the New Relic user interface.
- Public notes can be viewed by anyone.
- Private notes can be viewed only by individuals who have access to your account.
The text editor supports some standard Markdown codes, including surrounding words with an asterisk (
*) to make them bold or surrounding them with an underscore (
_) to make them italic.
Add a note
The Notes function appears when you mouse over the chart or map. To create a note:
- Mouse over the chart or map.
- Select Add to note.
- Type your comments, then select the option to create a new note or append it to an existing one.
- To append the note, select your choice from the dropdown.
- To return to the page, select Save and close. Or, to select additional options to edit, share, or delete the note, select Save and go to note.
The note automatically appears when you select Save and go to note. The background of the chart changes to green to indicate the presence of a note and the time period viewed when the note was created. The text of the note appears when mousing over the green indicator.
When zoomed out, the green background continues to show the duration of time for which the note was set. Mousing over the indicator displays the note text.
View the note
To view a list of all notes: From rpm.newrelic.com, select Tools > Notes.
Edit, share or delete the note
To edit, share or delete a note: From rpm.newrelic.com, select Tools > Notes and select the appropriate note.
By default, the note is private when you first save it. It will only be visible to people with access to the account. Additional options include:
- Making the note public through the user interface by selecting Publish
- Sharing the note through Lighthouse, Pivotal Tracker, or JIRA 5 by selecting the appropriate option.
- Emailing the note to a list of recipients that you select by selecting Share this note
- Editing the note's title or comments by selecting the pencil icon next to the note title or comment
- Editing the title of the chart, table, or map by selecting the pencil icon next to the chart title
- Viewing the chart, table, or map within the context of its page, by mousing over the chart and selecting View graph with context
- Deleting the note by selecting the Delete [trash can icon] icon
To edit or share other notes: From rpm.newrelic.com, select Tools > Notes.
Delete a note
To delete a note from the list of notes:
- From rpm.newrelic.com, select Tools > Notes
- Select the note's Delete [trash can icon] icon, then confirm.
For more help
Additional documentation resources include: