New Relic's REST API Explorer may find metrics that do not provide meaningful data. For better results, use Insights Metric Explorer to verify that there is meaningful data associated with your metric before using it.
New Relic recommends using the Metric Explorer in Insights to:
- Search all your metric data, including custom metrics
- Create customizable metric charts
- Add metric charts to Insights dashboards
To use the Metric Explorer to get the exact name for a metric:
- Go to insights.newrelic.com > Data Explorer > Metrics.
- Search for and select a metric.
- Under the metric chart, select View in API Explorer.
- On the API Explorer page for that metric, copy the name from the names field.
You can use the REST API Explorer to return a list of all metrics for your app, server, or plugin. Seeing all available metrics can make it easier to create plans for making use of those metrics.
You must provide your REST API key or an Admin user's API key in order to use the API Explorer. If your API key does not auto-populate in New Relic's API Explorer, make sure you selected your account from the Select an account dropdown.
Manually retrieve your API key.
- Go to the API Explorer at rpm.newrelic.com/api/explore.
- Select an account and key from the account and key dropdown.
- Select GET Metric Names, and then specify your target product ID in the application_id (or component_id, server_id, etc.) field. Select Send Request.
- From the API Explorer's returned JSON response, browse the metric names associated with the
"name":key to locate the target metric.
You can also take the cURL commands generated by the API Explorer and paste them into a terminal window for local output.
If you need more help, check out these support and learning resources:
- Browse the Explorers Hub to get help from the community and join in discussions.
- Find answers on our sites and learn how to use our support portal.
- Run New Relic Diagnostics, our troubleshooting tool for Linux, Windows, and macOS.
- Review New Relic's data security and licenses documentation.