New Relic's user interface is designed to allow authorized individuals access to the broadest possible amount of data, regardless of their assigned role. This document summarizes the types of roles and the associated rights or permissions.
To view the list of individuals assigned to your account and their roles: From the New Relic menu bar, select (account) > Account settings > Account > Summary. For more information, see Adding and updating users.
A New Relic account can have one Owner only. You can share an account with other users in your company by creating Admins, Users, and/or Restricted Users.
|Owner||The person who initially creates the New Relic account and receives all billing queries. The Owner has complete access to all of the account information from (account) > Account settings > Account. The Owner can also install and configure the New Relic agent, and they can enable or set up features.|
|Admins||One or more individuals who add, edit, and delete any account information from (account) > Account settings > Account except Billing. Admins can also install and configure the New Relic agent, and they can enable or set up features.|
|Users||One or more individuals who use (and optionally set up) the available New Relic features. In general, Admins take responsibility for setting up features, and Users and Restricted Users use them.|
|Restricted Users||One or more individuals who can view (but not set up or change) any New Relic features. The Restricted User role is useful, for example, for demos. You can change your New Relic session settings so that Restricted User logins do not time out, and then set the user interface to Kiosk mode.|
Here is a summary of basic user rights for your New Relic account.
|Update your own account information (name, password, default account, email preferences, etc.) from (account) > User preferences.||fa-check||fa-check||fa-check||fa-check|
Update users' job titles and roles from (account) > Account settings.
|View the list of individuals on the account from (account) > Account settings > Account > Summary.||fa-check||fa-check||fa-check||fa-check|
|Change the account Owner.||fa-check|
Add, edit, delete account Admins, Users, and Restricted Users.
When the account Owner and Admins add individuals to the account, New Relic automatically sends them an email message.
|Maintain billing information.||fa-check|
Page and feature permissions
Here is a basic summary of user rights for your New Relic account's pages and features.
|View* New Relic features, pages, and plugins.||fa-check||fa-check||fa-check||fa-check|
|Use* New Relic features, pages, and plugins.||fa-check||fa-check||fa-check|
|Enable and disable New Relic features available at the account's subscription level.||fa-check||fa-check|
* The ability for individuals to use change or delete functions will depend on the specific New Relic feature or subscription level. For example, if available, Users can create and view custom dashboards, key transactions, and plugins, but Restricted Users can only view them (not create them). However, both Users and Restricted Users can use the Embed and Note features for any available page.
Here is a summary of user rights for your New Relic account's Alert features.
|Configure and update alert policies and notification channels.||fa-check||fa-check|
|Acknowledge alerts.||fa-check||fa-check||fa-check||See Note|
Here is a summary of user rights for your New Relic account's Insights features.
|Create or delete Insights dashboards.||fa-check||fa-check||fa-check||fa-check|
|Add or delete widgets.||fa-check||fa-check||fa-check||fa-check|
For more information on sharing your Insights dashboards with others, see sharing levels for dashboards.
Here is a summary of user rights for your New Relic account's Synthetics features.
|Add, edit, and delete monitors.||fa-check||fa-check||fa-check||fa-check|
|View Synthetics pages.||fa-check||fa-check||fa-check||fa-check|
Here is a summary of user rights for other New Relic features.
|View information about the New Relic agent configuration.||fa-check||fa-check||fa-check|
|Activate and view account API keys.||fa-check||fa-check|
|Delete non-reporting apps and servers.||fa-check||fa-check|
For more help
Additional documentation resources include:
- Account billing and usage (individual procedures for the account Owner and Admins to maintain account information)
- Adding and updating users (procedures for the account Owner and Admins to add, change, and delete account users and their roles)
- Change passwords and user preferences (procedures for any role to maintain your account information, including name, password, default account, etc.)
- Account email settings (setting up your "master switch" that controls whether you receive email notifications for the entire account)
- Welcome to New Relic APM (overview of application performance monitoring)