Use the Account Usage page to understand your usage of Compute units (CUs) within a selected time window for APM.
The data displayed on the Account Usage page will vary depending on if your account has Compute Unit Pricing or Host Pricing. To understand the Account Usage page for an account with host-based pricing, see the Host Pricing Account Usage page.
View and compare usage
To access the Account Usage tool: From the New Relic UI's (account dropdown), select > Account Settings > Usage.
To view details about your CU usage:
- In the upper right corner of the usage chart, you can see the average CUs used by your account per month.
- To compare between months, hover over any bars displayed on the chart. Hovering over a previous month's bar will show you the exact CUs consumed during that month. Hovering over the current month will display the amount of CUs used so far in the current month.
- The Instances table provides the CU usage for your account broken down by individual hosts instances. The Usage (CUs) column indicates the total number of CUs used for each instance.
For a CSV file of your account usage, select download Download a CSV file below the list of Instances.
Account usage terminology
The terms in the Account Usage UI have the following meanings:
|Instance||An Instance is a physical machine, virtual machine, or cloud instance, that is associated with a single Operating System. An instance is the same as a host.|
Instance Size is the size of an instance based upon the computing power and memory used by the instance. The instance size is calculated as the sum of logical CPU cores and total Gigabytes of RAM for a given instance. For example, an instance with 2 CPU cores and 2GB RAM has a size of 4.
The maximum instance size is capped at 16 which consumes 12000 CUs for that month.
|Logical CPU core||A logical CPU core is a processing unit that is capable of executing its own thread in parallel with other logical cores. There can be multiple logical cores for a physical core.|
|Compute unit (CU)||A Compute Unit (CU) is the unit of measure of usage for the CU pricing model. A CU is defined as Instance size multiplied by the number of hours each host is connected to New Relic during the billing cycle. For example, an instance with a size of 4 that is connected for 750 hours in a month consumes 3000 CUs for that month.|
Host provider is the name of the cloud provider that is hosting the instance connected to New Relic. Currently, the only supported value is AWS for instances hosted by Amazon Web Services. The value will be blank for non AWS cloud providers, or if the instance is hosted in your own datacenter.
|Instance type||Instance type is the the type of AWS instance connected to New Relic (ex: t2.micro, m4.large). The value will be blank for non AWS cloud providers, or if the instance is hosted in your own datacenter.|
|Hours used||The total number of hours that each each instance is connected to New Relic over a given time period. For instances that is connected for the full month, the maximum value is 750 hours.|
|Usage (CUs)||Usage (CUs) indicates the total number of CUs used, broken out by instances, for a selected time period.|
Sub-accounts and usage
The Account Usage page only displays usage on a per account basis. When accessed from your master account, the Account Usage page will only include metrics from the master account, and sub-accounts will not be included in the total usage statistics.
To view metrics for a particular sub-account: From the New Relic UI's account dropdown), select Switch account > (target sub-account).
Troubleshoot instance sizing problems
In some cases, you may receive messages in the Instance Size column that indicate instance sizing issues. Potential issues may include:
- Default instance size applied: Update your agent to report accurate instance size.
If your agent version is outdated, New Relic is unable to determine the actual instance size, and the maximum size of 16 will be applied be default. To accurately report usage information, you must upgrade the agent. Upgrade your agent with the following versions or higher:
- Java: 3.18.0
- .NET: 184.108.40.206
- Python: 220.127.116.11
- Node.js: 1.21.0
- Ruby: 18.104.22.1688
- PHP: 5.5.0
- Go: 1.0
- Default instance size applied: System was not able to detect instance size
As a result of some agent issues or an unsupported environment, New Relic can not accurately identify the instance size. As a result, The default instance size of 16 will be applied.
- Custom instance size applied: Instance size obtained from customer provided information
The instance size was obtained from customer information, and a custom instance size has been applied as a result.
For more help
Additional documentation resources include:
- Account pricing and billing information (use self-service options from the account dropdown in the UI, and find resources to change your billing or product subscription level)
- Host usage report (export detailed host usage metrics by hour)
- Users and roles (permissions for owners, admins, users, and restricted users)